Crops and Retreats

Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Finally from Katherine

We have a FABULOUS easel card. I am sure you will agree this really is to be made for those special people who appreciate handmade cards


Jillibean soup – Chicken Noodle – Dried Egg

Jillibean soup – Chicken Noodle – Whole Chicken

A4 card

Maya road chipboard flower

Red button

Brown ink pad


Green woodware 6 petal punch

Fire brick distress ink

MS doily edge lace punch


Sewing machine

Yellow crayon

Red acrylic paint

Baby wipe

1. There are lots of tutorials and videos showing how to make twisted easel cards, for mine I took a sheet of A4 card and cut it in half lengthways. This makes the width of the card 4.2”. To make the twisting easel part of the card you need to fold the top part of the card down to make a square (so you have a longer section of card on the bottom). Once you have created the square you fold it on a diagonal. I trimmed part of the bottom rectangle away to make the card fit into a standard envelope.

2.Cut a piece of the dried egg paper to be the same size as the bottom rectangle, I then added a smaller rectangle using the other side of the dried egg paper and stitched a couple of lines across each edge. (When you come to assemble the card you will line up the bottom right corner of the dried egg paper with the right hand point on the triangle as seen above).

3. I popped a large maya road flower out of its chipboard case, and coloured in the chipboard with a yellow wax crayon. Then I painted the flower with red acrylic paint, and lightly rubbed over it with a baby wipe to remove some of the red so the yellow showed through. Once this was dried I covered it in PVA – though you could use crackle paint or glossy accents to get a different effect

4. When the flower was dry I layered a punched flower on top and stuck it on the card, then I wrapped some string a couple of times around the card (securing it with tape on the back) and threaded both ends through a button which I stuck on top of the flower.

5. I handwrote the message on some white cardstock and mounted it on the Whole Chicken paper. I stuck it down, and then machine stitched it together so it looked like bunting. I placed some white card on the back of this to cover up all my stitching.

6. For the base of the card I covered it with fire brick distress ink, then added a white section for the message (I stitched around this too), and a couple of layers of doily edge lace punched out of the dried egg paper. I then added my front section of the card, and with the left over petals that I had from the chipboard flowers I made the stop and covered them brown ink, and then stuck them on the base.